With our premier team of cataract surgeons, we proudly offer our patients throughout the Dubois, Brookville and the greater Altoona area the highest quality lens options. With our lens options, your vision will never be better! View the options below and see the benefits of each and make sure to call our team of ophthalmologists today!
Deluxe Multifocal / Accommodating Lens Package
A deluxe multifocal / accommodating lens is designed to provide a full range of vision—near, far and everything in between. Medicare and private insurance provide the basic coverage and allow you to pay for the upgrade, if you choose to do so. These lenses greatly decrease a patients dependence on eyeglasses after surgery. To our patients throughout the DuBois, Altoona and greater Brookville areas,these lenses are available at an additional cost. If it is determined that you are a candidate for the multifocal lens, we can discuss financing options with you.
What is TECNIS Symfony®?
Implanted during cataract surgery, TECNIS Symfony® IOLs are designed to provide crisp, consistent vision across multiple distances and lighting environments, thereby reducing color blending and clouding or blurriness across some or all vision areas. If you experience regular sight impairment, it’s time to explore whether the Symfony® lenses can help.
By blending Monofocal IOL technology to improve the clarity of sight trouble areas (often long-distance) and extended depth of focus IOLs to establish a path of distinct viewing across close-to-faraway points, TECNIS Symfony® IOLs can improve overall patient vision in a variety of conditions, including low-light and evening settings. That means you may be able to return to taking nighttime walks and drives, watching TV or using mobile device screens in darkened areas, and undertaking other activities in reduced lighting environments.
If you are interested in having a greater range of vision following cataract surgery, please as your doctor about the Tecnis Sympony, and see if you are a candidate for the lens.
What is the Crystalens®?
Crystalens® is an accommodating intraocular lens that, unlike a standard IOL, can treat both a person’s cataracts and presbyopia- loss of near and intermediate vision. You probably noticed in your forties that you started to lose some of your up-close vision and had to start wearing reading glasses. Crystalens not only treats your cataracts (a clouding or hardening of your lens), but can also reduce or eliminate your dependence on glasses. It does so by recreating accommodation similar to your eye’s natural lens. The unique crystalens can reduce or eliminate glasses for most activities including: reading a book, working on the computer, and driving a car.
Crystalens was modeled after the human eye. Like the natural lens, it uses the eye muscle to flex and accommodate in order to focus on objects in the environment at all distances. Crystalens dynamically adjusts to your visual needs.
Crystalens is designed to allow the optic, or the central circular part of the lens that you see through, to move back and forth as you constantly change focus on images around you. Crystalens flexes as you focus your vision.
- The first and only FDA-approved accommodating intraocular lens.
- The only FDA approved intraocular lens that uses the natural focusing ability of the eye.
- The only FDA approved presbyopia correcting IOL for cataract patients that provides a single focal point throughout a continuous range of vision.
Few patients with Crystalens have experienced problems with glare, halos and night vision. crystalens focuses only one image to the back of the eye, unlike a multifocal lens that projects multiple images, requiring your brain to “adjust” to the differences.
The effectiveness of the Crystalens® was proven in clinical trials:
- Significantly more patients implanted with a Crystalens (88.4%) could see better at all distances then patients implanted with a standard IOL (35.9%).
- Most patients have continued to report excellent vision 7 years after implantation with Crystalens. More than 100,000 Crystalens implants have been implanted worldwide, and that number is growing daily.
Crystalens accommodates like the natural lens. After implantation of Crystalens, most patients will see brighter and clearer from distance, intermediate to near like they did when they were younger.
ONLY FDA-Approved accommodating IOL
Crystalens was the first presbyopia correcting IOL introduced into the United States market and is currently the only FDA-approved accommodating IOL. Crystalens addresses the limitations of standard monofocal IOLs and multifocal IOLs by providing the following advantages to patients:
- Provides a Broad Range of Vision: Crystalens moves and changes shape using the eye’s natural focusing mechanism, instead of remaining fixed and stationary within the eye. This movement, or accommodation, allows the eye to focus on objects across a broad range of distances to reduce or eliminate dependence on glasses. In particular, this accommodation provides significant advantages in addressing intermediate vision.
- Maintains Clarity of Vision: Unlike multifocal lenses, Crystalens directs all available light received by the eye to a single focal point, comparable to that of a healthy natural lens
- Patient Adjustment Not Required: Crystalens produces a single image consistent with normal vision, meaning patients do not need to neuro-adapt to viewing multiple images. Patients also do not need to tolerate or adjust to high levels of halos and glare often associated with multifocal IOLs.